SLJ Tessellations – Step It Up

Today, I did a task from this week that I hadn’t completed. It is called Tessellations – Step It Up. Previously, I have done the Kick Start and so this is after the Kick Start. This task is about creating semi – regular tessellations and irregular tessellations. The differences between the two types are that a semi – regular is multiples of different polygons/shapes and a irregular tessellation is made of irregular polygons/irregular shapes. I have made all three types, regular (Kick Start), semi – regular, and irregular. I used Mathigon to create them, using the polypad function. The hardest to make was the irregular, the most fun was finding the shapes/polygons.

Can you tell which pattern is what type?

Answer: irregular, semi – regular, regular.

How obvious did the answers come when looking at the tessellations?

2 thoughts on “SLJ Tessellations – Step It Up

1. Mōrena Isa,

What another incredible post, you did such an amazing job stepping up from your last tessellations post and I can see that you challenged yourself with some different shapes and colours.

I also think you did an incredible job at explaining the difference between the kick star and step up as well as the differences between the types of tessellations you have created. I was able to successfully tell the difference between the three you made with help from your awesome explorations in your description.

Did you find this activity to be more challenging than the kick start?

Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates
    SLJ

2. Hi Zana,
    Yes, I found the step it up activity is more challenging than the kick start. But I also enjoyed it very much.
    From Isa