SLJ Shadow art Step It Up

This afternoon, I made a shadow art like before but in time lapse. So instead of just plain shadow art, I waited in periods of time and drew the shadow. When you look up to the sky, you would see the clouds moving. And if you look carefully at the sun, the same thing happens. The fact is because the Earth keeps moving, so it looks like the sky is moving when it is actually us that’s moving.

Now, if you place something that creates a shadow outside on a sunny day and trace (and colour with colouring material) the shadow, you’ll see it will of have moved in a period of time. Trace and colour that with another colour, not caring it overlaps. By choosing colours, I suggest contrast colours e.g. black and white so it stands out more with that effect. It starts to appear that effect on the second so on the third, you can choose to be ready. If you keep going, the effect may stand out more. If you keep going, it may look alike to something like this (but this is not mine).

I chose to do it three times, starting with red, then blue and lastly green. I found it not easy but also not hard because it was not easy for my surface was not totally flat but it was not hard for the last activity to me was harder. I did it with a wooden cat and this is how mine turned out to be.

What figure would you choose to do it on?

2 thoughts on “SLJ Shadow art Step It Up

1. Mōrena Isa,

What an awesome step up from your previous shadow art activity. I like that you chose to monitor the sun through your shadow art and what a brilliant idea to colour each time point a different colour.

How often did you go out to check the shadow, every hour? Did you notice anything interesting when completing this little art experiment?

Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates
    SLJ