SLJ Build a Plane Step It Up

A few days ago, there was this task called Build a plane Step It Up.

Learn: I watched 2 different videos of 2 different ways you could create your own DIY propeller plane using recycled materials.

Create: I designed and built my own propeller using paper, cello tape, card, straw, paperclip, metal(for prop), beads and time.

Share:

I found it very difficult due to a few things, some of my problems I faced were making the propelled plane, flying it properly, making it work and flying it outside. Making the plane was hard because it took me like a few days, and flying it outside was the hardest because it was very windy when I flew it. This activity was one of my least favourite, I only found it fun when flying it at the end.

Would you rather make a propelled plane or a helicopter? In my opinion, I think I’d make a helicopter instead.

6 thoughts on “SLJ Build a Plane Step It Up

1. Kia ora Isa,

Wow, I am impressed with how you have challenged yourself and came up with a very unique design! Simply following along to make folded ones is tricky enough for me.
    Try not to be too disheartened, all creators find that it can often take many attempts before success and have to go back and refine and modify their design based on their observations.
    It was great to see both your photo and video of your plane with you winding up the propellor. It gave a good idea of how you had used all your materials and what your design was like.
    Unfortunately, I couldn’t see your second video where you were flying it – you may need to change the general access permission to ‘Anyone with the link can view”.
    Look forward to seeing it.

Whaea Michelle

1. Ata Marie Whaea Michelle,
      Thank you for your comment. Sorry about not being able to see the second video, I have changed the access using your helpful suggestion. I think it is able to be seen now.
      From Isa

2. Kia ora Isa,

It’s Charlotte here, a Summer Learning Journey Blog Commenter. Well done giving the ‘Build a Plane’ activity a go! How did you find this activity? I thought it was lots of fun!

I always think it is awesome to make new things out of recycled materials so well done! I wonder if your creations could actually fly? What would happen if you threw them like paper planes?

When I was younger I would make paper planes with my brothers, we would have competitions on whose plane could fly the furthest. It was always so much fun! Did you enjoy this activity?

I can view your first video but unfortunately cannot view the second. Could you please update the sharing settings.
    Here is a screencast to show you how to make your content anyone with the link can view.

Ngā Mihi Nui
    Charlotte Visser
    Summer Learning Journey

1. Kia ora Isa,

Awesome, thank you for updating that. What an awesome video! Your plane actually flew really far – well done! I wonder what you could do to it to make it fly even further?

Ngā Mihi Nui
        Charlotte Visser
        Summer Learning Journey

1. Hi Charlotte,
          To make a plane fly further, maybe flying it indoor area where there is no wind I think. Thank you for letting me know the video is working now.
          From Isa