SLJ: Penrose Triangle

I have done this before but by hand instead of using Google Drawings. Penrose Triangle is also know as Impossible Triangle.

From Wikimedia GIF created by Tomruen

As you can see, when it stops to be a triangle, it seems to be impossible. The truth is there is a jump between the purple and red cubes in the 3rd L(brown).

From the angle you are looking at, it seem for it to be connected to each other. That makes it seem impossible because you cant see the jump between the purple and red cubes in the 3rd L(brown).

2 thoughts on “SLJ: Penrose Triangle

1. Kia ora Isa,

Manar here from the Summer Learning Journey Team. Awesome work! I love this activity because you can bring this penrose triangle to life as you make it 3D. It’s also amazing to hear that you have figured out how the triangle is able to be infinite in the way it is connected, and how depending on the angle you are looking at it it, it goes in multiple directions. You should try figure out how and if there are any other shape that could be infinite just like this triangle, for instance a pentagon shape, having 5 sides. Are you going to give it a go?

Keep up the great work!
    Manar Mahmoud (SLJ)

2. Hi Manar,
    Thank you for looking into my SLJ work. I googled the penrose pentagon online and found out there are so many shapes can also make the infinite shapes as well, even with square and circle. I found it very fascinating when looking into these shapes. They are amazing. I will give it a go when I have time. Thank you.
    From Isa